Governments around the globe are trying to use contact tracing technology as a method to reduce the spread of coronavirus after lockdown.
Countries are gathering a large number of people to carry out the responsibility and help to do this task manually. However, cell phone applications that can robotize the procedure will also play a role to limit the spread of COVID-19.
But the most important and main thing is to know about this contact tracing technology how it works, and what is the limitation of this technology. Here we gather the information about contact tracing and hopes for its use that weather it is useful for coronavirus pandemic or not.
What is contact tracing?
In public health, contact tracing is the procedure of distinguishing proof of people who may have come into contact with a contaminated individual (“contacts”) and an ensuing assortment of additional data about these contacts. By tracing the contacts of contaminated people, testing them for disease, treating the disease, and tracing their contacts so that they can test them and find whether the contaminated person infects his contacts or not to reduce the infection in the population. Diseases and infections that contact tracing usually help to detect are tuberculosis, measles, HIV), blood-borne diseases, some genuine bacterial contaminations, and novel infection diseases like coronavirus or COVID.
Main Goals of Contact Tracing
- To control continuous transmission and decrease the spread of disease.
- To make contacts aware of the chance of disease and offer preventive advising or prophylactic consideration
- To offer analysis, guiding, and treatment to an infected person.
- If the disease is treatable, to help forestall reinfection of the initially contaminated patient
- To find out about the spread of disease transmission in a specific population.
How to Contact Tracing Work?
Contact tracing normally involves the following steps:
- An individual is identified as having a transmittable disease (regularly called the list index). This case might be accounted for in general health or managed by the essential human services provider.
- The case is met to find out about their developments, whom they have been in close contact with, or who their sexual accomplices have been.
- Depending upon the infection and the degree of the disease, relatives, medicinal services suppliers, and any other person who may know about the case’s contacts may also be met.
- When contacts are recognized, general health provider gets in touch with them to offer guidance, screening, prophylaxis, and additional treatment.
- Contacts might be separated (for example required to stay at home) or barred (for example denied from going to a specific area, similar to a school) whenever regarded essential for virus control.
- If contacts are not separately identifiable (for example individuals from the pubic who went to a similar area), more extensive correspondences might be given, similar to media warnings.
Even though contact tracing can be improved by letting patients give data, prescriptions, and referrals to their contacts that may help the government to control any infectious virus or disease.
Limitations of Contact Tracing
With an infection like COVID-19, which spreads through the air, things can get convoluted rapidly. Contact tracers may wind up attempting to discover the individuals who sat close to a tainted individual on a plane or a transport, for example, regardless of whether the infected individual never met them. That is a fundamentally unique task from contact tracing with an explicitly transmitted contamination like HIV, which will, in general, include a lot shorter, all the more all-around characterized list of contacts for the public health providers. Medicinal services provider may also experience difficulty connecting with contacts if telephone records aren’t cutting-edge, or if a contaminated patient is as of now too even think to even think about the identification of their ongoing contacts.
Contact tracing COVID-19 diseases has demonstrated especially different and difficult, as some contaminated individuals don’t have symptoms, and the timeframe between getting infected and turning out to be irresistible has to be moderately short. In any case, even at some level of a pandemic, contact tracing can identify the infection. In any case, contact tracing is valuable inside community network settings, for example, in human services offices or nursing homes.
Can Contact Tracing helpful?
A few specialists question that the contact tracing technology will have any kind of effect, referring to issues including possible excesses of bogus positives. Dr. Esper says the innovation has guaranteed, regardless of whether it identifies a bigger number of contacts than would normally be appropriate.